Tuesday 8 June 2021

A terribly sad bit of news

 Yesterday, I learnt that a good friend of mine, Herbert Gratz, who was also a friend of many people who read this blog, suddenly died.

This is a huge loss. I first met Herbert in 1988, the battle of Mery Sur Seine. I remember him turning up late over the weekend, it was the last time that that happened! It was the start of a long friendship that saw many many games played and he always truly a gentleman.

Herbert was also instrumental in helping me set up this project, along with others, providing both financial and friendly support. I'm still stunned at the news. I will miss him, he was a one off.



4 comments:

  1. Herbert was a real character and slightly mad in a nice way. He was also a bugger to wargame against, its very sad that he has gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, words seem so little when things like this happen. Anne & I will be out on Friday having drinks on the man- I often referred to him as the "furry rabbit" with no idea of where I got that from! It's definitely left a gap that won't ever get filled. But I do know that he'd want us to plough on and keep the dice rollling.

      Delete
  3. Very sad news Gerry. I met Herbert at the WHC up in Scarborough during the Austerlitz game that yourself and Mike were hosting. An absolute gentleman. I have been reading everything that people have posted about Herbert as its been a fascinating insight into what was obviously an extraordinary life.

    ReplyDelete