Tuesday 5 January 2021

Game Interlude

There will be no surprise at the lack of gaming all year except a single outing in October already on the blog. The year has been unusual to say the least and for some people, difficult. Let's hope it improves soon!! I thought I would do something to show that although gaming is interrupted, things are still going apace.

To this end and to also stop myself becoming lazy I have just completed an unusual project.

The Napoleonic figures in the collection have been amassed over about 10 years. The figures are now exclusively from Pendraken and when figures are ordered in numbers, they are kind enough to include plentiful spares for potential breakages etc.

I also get these spares painted. So, at the beginning of December, I decided to get out all the spare figures out to see what I had.

Well!!


I managed to create 15 btns of Infantry, 2 Regts of Cavalry and an 8 gun foot battery. The guns were the Waldeck battery (I like the name, it's from the Rhinebund ehuch is what I wanted and a section may have existed?). The Cavalry were a French Line Dragoon Regt and the Polish Cuirassiers at 2 squadrons strength.

The infantry were based as follows. 2 Prussian Landwehr btns, 1 Hungarian btn, 3 Italian btns, 2 Bavarian btns and 7 "Rhinebund" btns (Anhalt 2 btns, Lippe 2 Btns, 4th Rhinebund 2 btns and 5th Rhinebund 1 btn).

I ignored the reality that the Anahalt & Lippe troops were never that large. And I flagged them all from left over Wurttemburg flags as one side has a big "R" (I know it doesn't stand for Rhinebund, but they are close enough and that's my story).

Overall, over 1,600 infantry ready in the ranks, 150 cavalry and the 8 gun Waldeck battery.

Now I'm back to looking at new games. The 1st I do will be Bautzen, the last of the big set battles, then I'm doing a SYW battle using the same rule set we use and then back to the 1813 campaign to complete the battles of Katzbach & Dennewitz.

All go!! Everyone keep well and let's hope for summer gaming.


6 comments:

  1. I didn’t know that you gamed the SYW so I’ll look forward to your report of that game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done it before, but the more I look into it, the easier it seems to doable with little to no modifications to our playing system. But we shall see when we try a game. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Gerry. Great to see the extra units now available to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you as well. I've still the Russians to have a go at. With more guns I could get about 4 more batteries (48 pieces) and about 4 btns of infantry. I'll look next week as my Bautzen plans are progressing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive Gerry, personally I always liked the idea of the Rhinebund and the mix of uniforms etc.Not the most effective units but pretty to look at. Look forward to seeing your SYW games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I got carried away. The only "bad" bit is that I will use the Nap Prussians and Austrians to play the games. I've already decided what "mods" are needed to skirmishers, the order system and the melee system. All are just tweaks. the existing core rules are used in their entirety. Don't know when it will happen, my guess would be Q3 this year, all being well.

    ReplyDelete