Monday 12 February 2018

Game 59 : Lutzen 1813

This game is arguably one of the best games we have played at the Situation Room. I will leave people to look up Lutzen, but in short, The Allies surprise a French Corps that is in danger of being overrun and the French pour reinforcements to the battlefield.
The battle goes backwards and forwards. One village withheld five assaults before being forced to yield ground. We used a timing system for each turn, nominally 20 minutes and fought 32 turns for nearly the entire day.

This time I am going to just post some pictures to show the action rather than describe it. If anyone wants any information on a particular pic, then I will rack my brain to try and remember what the action was about. Enjoy the pics.







We fought this battle over the best part of a full week. It engaged everyone all of the time and is memorable that foe all the fighting we did, we never got a result!! Both armies still held the field and at nightfall we all decided that the game was a draw but that the Allies had done marginally better. Both sides came close to crucial breakthroughs, but these were always thwarted.

 
The usual rogue's gallery. We had two other players, but they left earlier in the week.
The next battle is going to be Napoleonic, but I don't know yet. It will be either a "what if" scenario designed by one of the gamers or will be a first stab at a Peninsular battle. The Brits bring unique challenges with different basing as they have 2 deep lines per company and play testing will need to identify any potential wrinkles that may need ironing out.
Keep a look out! 

15 comments:

  1. Tremendous! A glory to behold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You never quite know if you can get the "feel" over to readers. The other thing is that everyone who plays these games always comment on how it looks like a Napoleonic battle.
      I think the beer helps!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely phenomenal amount of troops, well done can't wait till your next battle

    http://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

    Take care

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have just done Dresden, yes all of it, at our yearly game in a hotel for a week. The table used there is over 800 square feet, double the size of the tables you see here. And of course, double the number of figures (well, nearly treble!!!). Madness!!!

      Delete
    2. It must have looked absolutely brilliant

      Delete
  3. Really is such an enormously attractive looking rule set Gerry and the scope of those massed regiments really is quite outstanding mate. Good to see that the gaming continues to reach new heights which is, as we all get on, always a great pleasure. Well done and great photographs/images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to here from you Carlo. I have two aces up my sleeve. I now have 3,000+ pics from 2 enormous games, Borodino & Dresden, each played over a week in the hotel mentioned and on a 800+ square feet table. I had planned to publish these through Caliver, but this time it appears no go. I may still be able to use them, but I have to stump up the money.
      Or, I might talk to you to pick your brains about the best way to go about publishing.
      I'll "tease" everyone with some pics of the large games some time soon.

      Delete
    2. Let me no how I can assist mate. Your Caliver books were outstanding btw and I have enjoyed them very much indeed.

      Delete
    3. Hi Carlo, I'll reply here as you never know who can help as it is really for the hobby.
      Caliver normally undertake all costs to get the books out and then pay a royalty. I do the original work & pics in a word document. The difficult step is that the work is then "changed" by US based software to a format more friendly to "publisher companies" to do the print run in a PDF format. I'll be asking Caliver about other ways of financing the next book (there is a large one in the wings on Borodino & Dresden) but any help in identifying how to cheaply do the step from "Word to publisher ready" would be great.
      Too few people think the books are outstanding, but I'm glad you did.
      Cheers

      Delete
    4. Leave it with me and I’ll ask my prfessional contacts within the industry mate.

      Delete
  4. Most impressive pictures, what a huge and superb terrain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The table is about 400 square feet. The on table terrain is commercially available, its the basing (simple) that ensures it al gels together as a spectacle, apart from the numbers!
      This year it will be 7 years since our first game. Time rolls on!!

      Delete